It’s been a wet, cloudy waterfront holiday on the Sunshine Coast of BC. I love my life, where I live, and the opportunities I have there. This, though, is where my soul lives. It’s good to be here.
What’s good around the web is a weekly series where I share some of what I’ve been reading around the web. Each week I’ll be posting links to five nutrition related articles, good recipes, and just general good reads. I hope you enjoy it! If you’ve got at article or recipe you’d like to see featured, please email me.
1. How to stop wasting food. Some good pointers here! I always keep my bread in the freezer, what about you?
2. Vitamin D deficiency in pregnancy increases the risk of low birth weight babies. I attended a lecture on this when I was doing my nutrition undergrad. The lecturer told us that in Vancouver we could stand outside buck naked all winter long and not get enough vitamin D. Now that I live much further north I take my vitamin D supplementation seriously.
3. This is crazy: NCAA rules limit players’ food intake.
4. Food giants, not magazine diets, endanger our health. Really interesting read.
5. Yessssss! Bring back Home Ec! Did you know I originally went back to school to be a Home Ec teacher? I quickly realized that the teaching I wanted to do about food and nutrition was on a different scale so switched directions, but food and nutrition education in schools is so incredibly important.
All text and photos © The Muffin Myth 2012